Who is Dr. Ellie Somers?
I am an athlete, licensed physical therapist and a fierce advocate for better care.
I believe being medicalized is not what truly gets a person better and that pulling people from the activities they love is often unnecessary and does not foster recovery. I believe in the power of movement as medicine and I will admit that I have a terrible case of optimism when it comes to a person's recovery from pain or injury. I believe in the healing powers of the body. My hope is to spread that awe in more ways than one.
- Licensed Physical Therapist in the State of Washington
- 10 years as an outpatient orthopedic and sports physical therapist with 8 years in Seattle, WA
- Expertise in pain neuroscience with a biopsychosocial approach to care
- Research Physical Therapist for a concussion study with Seattle Children's Research Institute, including publication.
- Instructor for several professional education courses including:
- Return to Play after ACLR - Seattle Children's
- Lower Back pain in Adolescent Athletes - Seattle Children's
- Lower Extremity Injuries in Youth Sports - PTWA Conference
- Certified Sportsmetrics Injury Prevention Provider
- SMART Program Senior Performance Coach for Eastside FC 2017-2018
- Speaker at the Women in Physical Therapy Summit 2017
- Former Division I soccer player at Saint Louis University
- Partner to Entropy Physiotherapy & Wellness in Chicago to host continuing education courses for local professionals
I tore my ACL in high school and quickly learned of the benefits of performance-based rehabilitation and injury prevention for young female athletes. I went on to pursue my education at Saint Louis University where I played division I soccer and I graduated with my Masters in Physical Therapy in 2008 and completed my Doctor in Physical Therapy degree in 2011 while working full-time.
Being a competitive athlete has given me distinct advantages in my adult life and I want other people to know what it feels like to feel powerful in their bodies, minds and lives. My mission is to keep women and girls involved, healthy, injury free to the best of my ability so that they can reap the rewards of their inner athletic selves in whatever way they define.
What I do.
I'm here to help you change your story and help you write a new one. To get you off the sidelines and back to what you love.
I’m not here to criticize your movement, your supposed lack of strength or your body. I view my role as one which is meant to show you where you are capable, where you can become more capable, and how you can ultimately reach your goals and learn to live a healthier, happier, more fluid life.
I'm in the business of empowerment.
Follow me on Instagram!